Thursday, March 31, 2011

9 Weeks



The baby has officially graduated from embryo to fetus and has grown to about 1 inch (head to rump), which is about the size of a medium green olive (to me, I don't consider this much different than last week's raspberry, but who knows). The head is continuing to develop and take on more baby-like proportions. And this week the baby is pumping iron as the muscles begin to form which will allow the baby to move it's arm and legs, but not quite enough for me to feel yet. The baby's heartbeat can be heard by doppler, and hopefully we will have the opportunity to hear it at our first appointment on Tuesday.

The baby is also developing hair follicles, but being a baby who didn't have hair until I was 2 was to I'm not holding my breath that I will have a baby with a full head of hair! At this point the baby weighs less than 2 grams, which is about the weight of a penny (so why have I gained 4 pounds?) And although the sex of the baby was decided at conception, the baby is beginning to develop either into a little boy or a little girl. Exciting! Any guesses to which it may be? Most guesses have been for a girl, but my mom and aunt Christy are sure it's a boy. Only 11 more weeks til we will know!

As far as symptoms go I haven't been experiencing anything new. My appetite has decreased some as well as my frequent bathroom breaks, which are still frequent, but not as bad. I am mostly excited to meet with the nurse practitioner next week for the first appointment and then with my OB the next week. There is the possibility that I have started to experience "pregnancy brain" aka forgetfulness. It is hard to tell because part of that is just who I am, but yesterday I totally forgot to wear my jacket to work, which I paid for because it was a bitter cold walk in and out. And I also started to leave without getting my stuff out of the breakroom. The day before I forgot to grab my parking pass and put it in my rental car so I had to pay for parking (although the shorter walk was nice). Maybe it was a fluke, or just one of those days, but I have been promised that it will come! Thanks again for all the love, support and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. I can't beleive we will be out of touch next week. No phone, computer, or email. I promise, you and Jake will be the first phone call when we hit dry land on Saturday!! I can't wait to hear the OB report. Try to be a good listener, even though you have a bit of experience under your belt! And don't forget a word she says...

    ReplyDelete