Monday, March 7, 2011

Our baby at 5 weeks


So here is the week 5 update (weeks 1-4 are pretty uneventful). Our baby is an embryo and mostly resembles a tadpole, or if you ask Jake, Lord Voldemort. The baby is growing very fast and furiously and is about the size of an orange seed (much bigger than the poppy seed it was in the first month). The most exciting part is that in weeks 5 the baby's heart is taking shape and the first system, the circulatory system is operational!

What does all of this mean for me? Lots of trips to the bathroom! My body is in overdrive growing the baby which means an increased heart rate and increased blood flow to my kidneys which means lots of potty breaks! Because of all of this and the increased energy used to build our little tadpole there is a lot of fatigue. So far I have felt pretty much the same energy-wise but I am looking forward to an excuse to take naps in the coming weeks! Nausea and vomiting usually start around this time and can continue through the first trimester and beyond, but fingers crossed, nothing yet. Also, food cravings and aversions are taking place. Again, nothing I have experienced yet, but I have taken the opportunity to buy and keep icecream in the house, although this week I tried to go a little healthier and got mango sorbet, which I have yet to try. So all-in-all I'm pretty much the same me! Which is good, except when you want something other than the positive pregnancy test to remind you about the little orange seed you are carrying around. For now I will enjoy my same old body and being symptom free because I know all of that is about to change.

Also, I forget to mention that the baby's due date (by my calculations) will be October 31. We'll see what the doc says, but when does a baby ever come on their due-date anyway? As long as we make it to term I will be a happy camper!

No comments:

Post a Comment