Tuesday, April 24, 2012

No one can do everything, But everyone can do something

Isn't it amazing how a child can suddenly spur you to action? I've been taking baby-steps for years and very half-heartedly attempting to be more eco-friendly. Buying organic infrequently at best, occasionally opting for my re-usable water bottle versus my overstocked refrigerator full of plastic ones.  I am the biggest sucker of pretty packaging and would frequently refer to myself as a "product junkie" needing to test out every new product I saw on the shelf. What a waste of time, money, and resources. Worst of all, I gave up collecting our recyclables and driving them to the nearest bin about 3 miles from our house because it seemed extremely inconvenient. Shameless, I know!

Regardless, this year I've been working on turning my lazy baby-steps into much more active ones. Now, don't expect to see me in a hemp skirt and dreads anytime soon (or ever), but thanks to the help of Pinterest and mommy blogs, it is now easier than ever to do a little thing here and there to make my home healthier, and the world happier step by step. And please note, that I am documenting this all here not to guilt-trip anyone (remember my recycling story?) or to pat myself on the back, but just to help remind myself of the progress I've made.

My first goal, which is still a work in progress, is switching out my store-bought chemical-laden home cleaners for more natural, healthy, yet still effective options. First I switched out our laundry detergent for a homemade laundry soap (found here) and here are the reasons why: All the packaging can be recycled (you can use 7th Generation brand "oxyclean" which comes in a cardboard box). Second, all the ingredients cost me less that $20, which is great because I have given a ton of it away to friends and family and still have a ton left for myself and I haven't even put a dint in it. I expect to use this batch for about a year or more so less non-recyclable packaging is being put back into the environment over time. But here's my confession. I did add a bottle of Downy Unstoppables, to boost the fragrance, which come in a plastic container and likely carries chemicals that are harmful to the environment, but I will be better next time (maybe try some essential oils). Baby-steps.

How many half bottles of all-purpose cleaner do you have sitting under your sink? If you're like me, probably too many to count. I love the Method brand cleaners, which are environmentally friendly and non-toxic, and the bottles are made from recycled plastic. All of this is great, but in my free time I decided to try to whip up my own all-purpose cleaner, just for the sake of knowing exactly what I am cleaning with and hoping to reduce my carbon footprint by using things I already have on hand, versus buying something. I used the all-purpose cleaner recipe found here and hope to also make the bathroom scrubber as soon as my comet runs out. So far I am happy with it and may continue to play with the recipe some to get it just right.

My most recent switch was personally a big one. I ditched all of our plug-in air fresheners. First off, they do much less freshening that we think and are a HUGE fire hazard. Thanks to my new favorite website I now know what I have long suspected:

"Known toxic chemicals that can be found in air fresheners include camphor, phenol, ethanol, formaldehyde, and artificial fragrances (which contain their own mix of toxic chemicals). These chemicals can cause symptoms like headaches, rashes, dizziness, migraines, asthma attacks, mental confusion, coughing and more. Some of the substances in air fresheners are linked to cancer or hormone disruption." 

Yuck! And this is just the tip of the iceberg. So I tried this quick and simple recipe. Now, definitely not the strong overpowering scent that I am used to, but I am adjusting. I used lavender essential oil and though you don't notice it immediately, I do catch whiffs of it that are not too overpowering. Definitely an adjustment, but I am sure my wallet will appreciate it when I don't spend $10-15 on a new freshener every few months.

I am hoping that my few small changes add up and that Jake and I can leave Jameson with a thriving environment and raise him in a safe one. Please share your thoughts and ideas and maybe some things you have tried. Hope to check back in with you soon and you all can hold me accountable for putting my extra money saved toward buying that dang recycling bin! 

5 comments:

  1. Of course you knew this would be coming from me but this makes me so happy!!!! :) such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Yay!! I've already told you how much we love the laundry detergent you made. It's fabulous! Thanks for the refill!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAYYY... you go ladyy. Use that hydroflask ;) also check out "the raw food diet" by someone? rose. I have it &the recipes in it are surpisingly easy &delicious. plus it teaches you about why you should eat greeen!

    mad love. I am sharing this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Kaily! I use it every day at work instead of the plastic cup I would throw away everyday. Jake has one now too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go girl, O so proud as always. How do I get started? Please forward your recipes, I will put them to good use. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete