Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I may need mental help...

Well we are halfway through another week and I find myself wondering where the time has gone. I must admit now that I am back to work time seems to go a little bit faster. My mind has been racing with different things to blog about, in an attempt to add some depth, rather than hey guess what Jameson can do now! Of course, that was yesterday and I today I don't remember half of what I was thinking about yesterday.

First off, we celebrated Valentine's day. We've always been pretty low-key, alternating between going out and staying in, which I think we usually prefer to stay in. I felt like the house was a mess and because of my crazy need to keep the house looking decent (I really need to get over this!) I couldn't start all the projects I needed to do until I got a few things tidied up. I also had errands to run and I just felt rushed all day. But seriously, I think I have a problem.

As I scoured the sink I thought about the weird amount of joy I get out of it. Is it the familiar smell of comet or the bright shiny sink that results from my hard work? I don't know what it is, but I just thought to myself Wow, this brings me a weird sense of satisfaction. I then realized I also find this satisfaction while cleaning the stovetop (among other things). Surely other people experience this (I hope). But what is it about these tasks? I still dread folding laundry, or unloading the dishwasher just so I can reload it. And don't even get me started on cleaning the bathrooms.

Regardless, a house is not a home without a few dust bunnies right? And as our family grows and our messes become bigger I am learning to let go, because otherwise I might wear myself out trying to keep up! I don't have to have a clean floor to enjoy the smile on my little guy's face when he wakes up in the morning. A few weeks after Jameson was born my grandparents came over to visit. My grandfather kindly remarked that he enjoyed seeing the clutter on my countertop, and burp clothes thrown about because now my home actually looked lived in. This made me smile, and now when I see dog hair tumbleweeds roll by I  remember that sentiment... then grab the sweeper, because boy oh boy do I looove to vacuum! I never said I wasn't a work in progress :)


No comments:

Post a Comment