Friday, February 24, 2012

Don't Worry Be Happy


I grew up dancing to the Beach Boys. "Don't Worry Be Happy" was the anthem of my cousins and I as we danced around the living room and jumping off the fireplace. Life seemed so simple back then. We were also most likely listening to that song over and over again on cassette. Remember those? I was also probably sporting a side pony and acid wash jeans.

I would consider our family to be pretty techy and Jake does a good job of keeping us up to date or even ahead of the curve. He is constantly telling me about something new or what is just around the technology corner. We marvel at the fact that Jameson will most likely head to school with an iPad (or something like it) instead of a backpack full of books. To me this is exciting, but also strange. We live in such a different world than the one I grew up in not long ago. Will Jameson appreciate the smell of a brand new book? Will he ever even own a cd? Technology provides so many wonderful things, but how much of a good thing is too much?


I've noticed that I rarely see kids riding their bikes around my neighborhood unaccompanied by an adult. Yes, my parents took us on many family bike rides, but I was also given the freedom to ride my bike around our neighborhood on my own. Has the world changed that much in 15 years that kids can't play and explore without constantly having a parent guiding them? As I drove through the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago, I saw a 11 or 12 year old girl going door-to-door most likely doing some sort of fundraising. Oh, I could remember the days vividly of trying to sell wrapping paper for school. Then I saw a car trailing her. Her mom was following her along keeping a close eye on her. This struck me as funny. I know my parents didn't do that. Don't kids learn things quicker by doing things on their own and making a few mistakes? Maybe I have a lot to learn about parenting in the 21st century, but I hope I can raise Jameson in a world that he feels safe in, but also a world in which he can freely explore the backyard on his own. Is this an impossible expectation? 

Now I am not naive enough to believe that dangers don't exist, but I have no doubt that the same dangers children face today are similar dangers they faced 10, 20, 30 years ago. Unfortunately we cannot protect our little ones from everything, and I wouldn't want Jameson to grow up a "bubble boy" either because each bump and bruise is a lesson. I just look forward to letting him experience the world, even if it is a different world than the one we grew up in. 

You only get to have the innocence of childhood once and it is over before you know it. The last time my cousins and I were all together we definitely didn't get up and shake our booties to "Kokomo". But why not? I think next time I see them it will be a requirement.

Lila demonstrating a wet-willy
These days Jameson is weighing in close to 17 pounds according to our home scale. He will have a pediatrician appointment about a week after he hits the 4 month mark. His favorite toy these days is Lila. She feels the need to watch over him anytime he is laying on the floor. This makes her a very easy target for this little grabber. Luckily, she gamely sits there patiently as Jameson's chubby little fingers do a death grip on her shaggy ears. She also gives him the occasional wet-willy as retaliation and moves on to his face which makes him squeal with joy as I have to remind her to please not make mouth-to-mouth contact. Therefore, Jameson is frequently getting a hands and face spit bath. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! It was a different world twenty five years ago! Keep in mind that you and your brothers did not get the pleasure of ever using and rotary dial phone, eight track tapes, black and white tv's, playing with mercury, etc. But certainly you will keep the Love, Laughter, and discovery in Jameson's life...enjoy. The trick is when you follow behind do not let him know you are there!

    ReplyDelete