Monday, February 20, 2012

Ever wake up on the wrong side of the bed? I woke up on Sunday morning and the first thing I did after letting the dogs out was spill my freshly filled large glass of ice water all across the kitchen floor. Ugh. I literally had one ice cube left in the bottom of my cup. What a terrible way to start the day. Of course, I decided to become mad at the world, like someone is to blame other than my seemingly genetic predisposition to constantly spill things (ask Jake about the time I spilled orange juice all over the stove/oven). Needless to say it was not how I wanted to start my day.

Before I was a mother I would say I devoted 50% of my day to contributing my time to something other than myself, either cleaning, planning meals or taking care of the dogs, working, etc. I don't know if this seems like a little or a lot to some of you, but what it comes down to is it didn't take much of a conscious effort to do something for myself everyday. Now I find I have to remind myself to devote at least a few minutes to myself, somedays it is more and somedays it feels like less. How can I not just be completely wrapped up in spending time with Jameson & Jake? But I know that it is in their best interest and mine to continue to invest in myself. Whether it be a quick ten minute yoga session or going out for a mani/pedi (thanks mom!) I know it is important to recharge and refuel even before I start feeling empty. And I don't think this is exclusive to me or to parenthood, but something we all can benefit from.

Anyway, I hope you are all finding time to take care of yourselves so you can better mothers, fathers, spouses, and friends. There's nothing wrong with a little indulgence! And today, I hope to indulge in a little nap!


3 comments:

  1. You speak words of wisdom! Just like the flight attendants say, put your mask on first before assisting others. A simple lesson that takes many women decades to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you learn this from the French?!

    ReplyDelete