Tuesday, August 23, 2011

30 Weeks

This week the baby continues to grow, now reaching about 17 inches long and just about 3 pounds in weight. His brain is growing and developing to help him prepare for life outside the womb, which I have a feeling will be here before I know it! As the baby's brain develops it is beginning to look more and more like it should with soft grooves and indentations and ready for a lifetime of learning. These wrinkles allow for future expansion of the brain tissue that is crucial as the baby grows from a newborn to a preschooler and beyond. His brain is taking on tasks that were previously delegated to other parts of the body, like temperature regulation, which means he will start shedding the lanugo he put on weeks ago (the soft downy body hair he was sporting to help keep him warm). Fingernails and toenails are finished developing and the bone marrow is now functioning and producing blood cells. The baby now hangs out in the womb with his eyes open when he is in an awake state (how do they know this?). His eyesight will continue to develop outside the womb and when he is born is eyesight will be 20/400!

I've still been feeling great, but have been experiencing a little bit of an increase in fatigue this week. I find it hard to pass up an afternoon nap especially when my other option of studying or cleaning sounds much less appealing. I visit the doctor every other week now and this week's trip was short and sweet. Not too much new to report, but still measuring on track and got to check in on the baby's sweet little heartbeat. He is now sitting comfortably at about 135 beats per minute. He has been especially active of late and shows off by kicking his feet out any chance he can get, which I take as a good sign for a future soccer player!

Today I got the carpet in the nursery cleaned and we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of the crib! Jake and I (well mostly Jake) have spent much of our time focused on getting out master bathroom shower into working order and should be getting it re-tiled in the next week or so. I have to stop myself from completely throwing myself into the project, because I know I have a million other tasks at hand, but its hard not to want to paint the walls and pick out the new fixtures. Really all we need is the shower to be complete and everything else can wait, but I'm really itching to get it all knocked out at once. One step at a time.

I am also anxiously awaiting a weekend at the cabin! We get to visit family in Vincennes this weekend so we thought it would be the perfect opportunity to stop by the cabin and stay awhile. We haven't been in months and it may be one of the last trips without a pack'n'play and a million baby toys. Until next week!


1 comment: