Tuesday, April 19, 2011

12 Weeks



Our baby has more than doubled in size in the past 3 weeks, weighing in now at 1/2 an ounce and measuring about 2.5 inches (crown to rump). About the size of a large fresh plum, the baby is hard at work in the development department. Though most of the systems are fully formed, there is a lot of maturing to do. The digestive system is beginning to practice contraction movements so the baby will be able to eat and the bone marrow is making white blood cells. Also the pituitary gland, at the base of the brain has started producing hormones. The baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, it's toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and the mouth will make sucking movements.

So this weekend I think the baby definitely had the hiccups on the ultrasound and I learned that our baby is able to swallow this week and practices on the amniotic fluid he or she floats, therefore the hiccups. I didn't know the baby could do this so early, but I guess so. Hopefully the baby isn't as unlucky as me, because if I get hiccups once in the day I get them on and off for the rest of day!

1 comment:

  1. Most definintly a "CLARK" trait, I have lived with it all my life. Gordon just shakes his head once they begin! Evening ones are the worst, one could get motion sickness on the waterbed.

    ReplyDelete