Friday, August 24, 2012

Lights! Camera! Action!

Most people know Jake and I to be movie buffs, which is something we are very proud of and eager to share with Jameson. We anxiously wait for the day when we can all go to the theater together and cuddle up on the couch and share our favorite movies. So you might be surprised by this post, heck, I've even surprised myself. But like our parents, and their parents before them we all are just trying to do our best for our kids with what information we have at them time.

Recently I have read some pretty alarming statistics related to screen time in very young children. Our kids our bombarded with technology (another thing our household is known for). Technology gives us so many amazing things, but we all know too much of a good thing is bad. I also blame my nursing education for making me an evidence-based practice mama, I love a good research article and here is some of what I know:

Research has shown that the quick-changing images on televisions can overstimulate developing brains, damaging the developing neural pathways, specifically those needed to stay focused.

Children who watch more than two hours of TV per day are twice as likely to develop asthma, as those who watch less. Television is the worst form in inactivity and is even linked to higher blood pressure in children who watch more.

In children under the age of three, researchers found that the number of hours babies watched tv was associated with irregular nap and bedtime schedules, leading to poor sleep habits overall. We all know that lack of quality sleep is associated with numerous other health problems.

The long periods of fixed attention required by viewers are now believed to be a significant cause of an increase in myopia.

The big question is what would your child be doing if he or she wasn't watching TV? A 2006 study found that on average television viewing is displacing three other activities for the average child. This means reduced time with parents and siblings, as well as time spent in creative pursuits, which is especially significant for children under the age of 5. It is well known and studied that play is the work of children, their avenue for learning and growing, mentally and physically.

After thirty years of research, it has also been determined that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggresive attitudes, values and behaviors, particularly in children. I would definitely have to agree with. And it is also becoming increasingly difficult to watch something without violence. Bambi and Nemo both had mother's who were killed for crying out loud! How do you think this plays in to our children's fears of separation and abandonment?

Experts have found that most childhood nightmares and anxieties stem from movies and television, which I can remember this from my own childhood.

Television is addictive (reality TV anyone?). It conditions children's brains to acclimate to excessive stimulus. The type of exposure may prove destructive when a child tries to process other slower-paced sources. Babies who grow up watching TV are more dependent on it to self-soothe and alleviate boredom.

Unfortunately, media and technology have become a replacement for family interaction and that is not a habit I want to keep in my home. I want Jameson to be interactive, not captive to the screen all day. And how does this play into the rise of childhood obesity? Or the branding kids are highly susceptible to when viewing tv? What kid do you know that isn't familiar with elmo before they can even walk? We are essentially training mini-consumers.

The AAP adamantly states that children under the age of two should not be exposed to screen time, and even after the age of two, does not recommend more than 10 hours of TV per week. Researchers found that more than 10 hours a week was the point at which academic scores started to decline for school age kids.

So what does this all mean? I've given you just a few points that really struck me the hardest. Jameson is not screen free nor do I think that is a realistic expectation for us. I do not however have the tv on when we are home together. Yes, we watched the Olympics. And yes, I myself used the tv to pass the time those early days when nursing was a 45 minute process. In the last 5 or 6 months though that has changed. But honestly I don't miss Ellen on in the background. We listen to music, have dance parties and play together. Sometimes I just sit and watch him learning which is definitely entertaining and always teaches me something about him.

Occasionally I will pick up my book but with J on the go I don't get very far. I find that without the tv on I am 100 times more in tune with Jameson and not distracted from him. He is only this little once and I don't want to miss a single hug, smile or curious look.

If you haven't tried reducing your screen time or the screen time of your kids give it a try. You might be surprised by how enjoyable it is.

And most importantly, moderation is key. I know I'm not presenting you with a novel concept here. I mean mama has to continue to Keep Up with the Kardashian's, just during naptime :)

(All research referenced in this post is from SuperBaby by Dr Jenn Berman, which is an awesome book that I would recommend to new parents and soon to be parents.)

3 comments:

  1. Btw, after reading this Jake declared me crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!!! Of course Jake did!! ;) He has always been the great debater! But that's okay...it's always a pleasure to have a good (healthy) debate with him! Love the article...not surprised one bit!

    ReplyDelete