Monday, July 25, 2011

Weeks 25 & 26

I can't believe how far we've come! 26 weeks seems to have flown by, and even more frightening is the fact that in no more than 15 weeks we will meet our little boy! At 26 weeks our baby is weighing in at a full 2 pounds and is about 14 inches long. Capillaries are forming under the skin and filling with blood. By the end of the 25th week air sacs lined with capillaries will be developed in the baby's lungs. The lungs are also developing surfactant which is vital for successful lung function and will help keep the lungs expanded after birth. The baby's nostrils, which have been plugged, are beginning to open up this week. His vocal cords are also now functioning, leading to the occasional hiccups. The structures of the baby's spine is now made up of 150 joints, 33 rings and some 1,000 ligaments. Incredible!

By week 26 our baby is beginning to open his eyes, his lids have been fused for the last couple of months allowing the retina to develop. The iris has yet to develop much pigmentation so it's too early to start guessing eye color. So all in all the baby is experiencing heightened senses and may even react to them!

Last week I had my 24 week appointment (a week late) and again everything checked out fine! I was measuring right on even though I feel very large! At my next visit I get to drink my yummy glucola and they will draw my labs to test for gestational diabetes. At the rate I am going, I am going to pass up my goal of only gaining 30 pounds during my pregnancy so the doc suggested I lay off the carbs (NO FUN!) and I decided I better get my act in gear and spend more time walking around the neighborhood instead of veggin' on the couch. I have had the heat as an excuse the last couple of weeks, but I am resolving to get better about being more active. Unless I've been working I haven't had any further problems with swelling, but the doctor also suggested to get kick it indoors on the really hot days and if I have to be outside to stay hydrated and only go out in the mornings or evenings. All common sense stuff, really!

I don't know how long it has been since I first embarked on painting the baby's room, but by the end of the today it will be almost complete! The walls are all done, I just need to paint the closet doors and the bedroom door. I can't believe it has taken this long, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Next on the agenda will be to clear out the closet and remove the dogs kennels so the carpet can be cleaned and then it will be time to move in all the little guy's stuff!! The end of October still seems far away, but like I said in no less than 15 weeks I will have a newborn in the house and I have a lot to get done before then!

1 comment:

  1. only 15 weeks!??!! how incredible i truly cant believe it!

    ReplyDelete